« November 2020 | Main | January 2021 »

December 2020

"Out of Patience in California: Residents are fed up with officials’ blatant disregard for the public interest."

"Everything has a bottom, and we’re scraping it."

The author is more optimistic than I am. The bottom, unfortunately, is a looooong way down. See, for examples, "Thought San Francisco’s Quality Of Life Couldn’t Get Worse? Think Again" and "San Francisco Puts Another Nail in Its Own Coffin".


"Purdue Made It Through the Fall. Does That Mean Mitch Daniels Was Right?"

The answer appears to be a resounding "Yes!" but The Chronicle of Higher Education is really loathe to admit it. Consider, for example, this bit:

Deborah L. Nichols, chair of the University Senate and an associate professor of human development and family studies, said that students, too, are showing signs of stress, mostly by not showing up for classes. Most courses do not have an attendance policy or participation component for their grade, she said, and students have told her that without those incentives, they are less motivated.

Now suppose Purdue had maintained its usual attendance and participation policies in the face of the pandemic. Can you imagine the yelling and screaming, almost entirely from the Left, that would have resulted? So here we have a Liberal favorite: damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't.


"The $2 Billion Mall Rats"

"The inside story of a black sheep hedge fund, their massive bet that shopping malls would crash, and how they proved Wall Street wrong."

Shorts get vicious contempt from a lot of people. That contempt seems, at best, unnecessary. If they're wrong they tend to lose their shirts. And when they're right they perform a hugely valuable service in exposing "aggressive" accounting and outright fraud.


One important way the Left differs from the Right

As revealed by a good Liberal:

Yet in the current climate, for reasons I will never understand, to share 10% of one’s views with the political right is to invite constant entreaties and attempted seductions from the right, while to share 90% of one’s views with the left is to invite categorical ostracism from the left for not being able to get on board for that remaining 10% . . .